My partner and my parents have just returned (today) from two excellent weeks in South Africa, culminating in four nights at Shamwari as the anticipated highlight feature of the trip. It didn't disappoint! We opted to stay at the Bayethe Lodge on the basis it was not a 'traditional' hotel type room and felt a little more 'safari' - our tented rooms were brilliant, with no shortage of luxury provisions and considerations. We had a warthog sleep outside our lodge on our first night, with my parents having three 'deer' sleep outside theirs the following night! Food quality, wine variety and service were all excellent. The game drives, under the magnificent guidance of Headman, were superb - I never imagined we would get so close to such a variety of animals, including lions, rhinos and a truly incredible encounter with a herd of elephants and their matriach. This isn't a cheap location to stay at, but it delivered in every way for us and was worth every single penny to come away with magical memories that will last a lifetime - I would go back tomorrow!
- Also Known As:
- Shamwari Game Reserve Hotel
- Shamwari Game Reserve Hotel Shamwari Game Reserve
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A mere 75 km from Port Elizabeth towards Grahamstown, Eastern Cape, South Africa. Shamwari is the crown jewel of private game reserves situated in the malaria free Eastern Cape, the birth place of Nelson Mandela. This privately owned 25 000 hectares of prime natural terrain has received numerous international awards. Shamwari is an exploration of nature with close encounters of free roaming wildlife and the coveted big five with a choice of unique lodges, an exclusive private villa and the adventurous Explorer Camp. Luxury accommodation is offered in 7 different game lodges on Shamwari Game Reserve, all of which are 5 Star graded. Choose a game lodge that perfectly compliments your ideal African experience. EAGLES CRAG LODGE - Exclusivity, privacy and serenity for the most discerning of travelersBAYETHE TENTED LODGE - The ultimate in luxury tented accommodationSARILI LODGE - A colonial and bush experience. Perfect for families or small partiesLONG LEE MANOR - Refined elegance from a bygone era. RIVERDENE FAMILY LODGE - Colonial Africa in an elegantly restored CHILD FRIENDLY frontier home. VILLA LOBENGULA - Villa Lobengula is a beautiful and tranquil space tucked away in the depths of the valley bushveld. Booked on an exclusive use basis only. EXPLORER CAMP - Camping & walking experience among the Big 5 on the magnificent Shamwari Game Reserve ON SAFARI - Game drives can last up to 3 hours each and are conducted twice a day in open vehicles / Guided walks / Star gazing RELAX - Various treatments can be enjoyed at our Relaxation Retreats which are situated at Eagles Crag, Lobengula Lodge, Bayethe Lodge and Long Lee Manor ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your Shamwari Game Reserve Lodges reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.