We arrived off peak (the week after school had started in the States) and on a Monday afternoon. There are lots of hotels in Santa Barbara and around the same area on the beach front. We would advise anyone else arriving around this time not to worry about booking in advance because hotels will have space and you can afford to choose one you like. We chose this hotel because it was small, had a quiet double room facing the back and we liked the pool and hot tub area after having a look around at some of the others.
We came here on a road trip round California after landing in LA. We stayed two nights in LA area before driving up to Santa Barbara. In hindsight, it only took less than 2 hours drive from LA and if we had to do it again, we would drive straight from LAX airport to Santa Barbara. Our point is that for people on a fly drive from LA it would be feasible to drive to Santa Barbara without staying overnight in LA if you didn't fancy it.
One thing to note is that hotels on the beach front tend to be far from the restaurants on State Street which is the main hub of Santa Barbara, so if you are looking for somewhere to eat for dinner 5 minutes away you won't have more than a choice of two or three places. The pier only has a pub type place open after 7pm so don't go that way. We had this problem and unless you fancy driving in or cycling then be prepared to walk about 15 minutes and over the rail track down towards State street where there are plenty of restaurants and bars to choose from.
Another thing about this hotel is that it only offers continental breakfast (nothing cooked/hot except toast), so there is no option to stay in for lunch or dinner. It was a good breakfast and exactly what we expected from a decent continental breakfast. Like many of the hotels in Santa Barbara, the hotel offers wine and cheese in the evening. This was nice and we tried it once.
During our stay we took the opportunity to cycle down to Butterfly beach which is a pleasant hour round trip. We would recommend doing this and for people who anticipate hiring bikes for a longer time it may be worth investigating staying at one of the hotels who offer free bike hire. However, for a short trip, there are two cycle hire shops only a block away which is very convenient and inexpensive which we hired bikes from.
We had a lovely stay at this inn - it is quite small - with a little breakfast area and tables outside round the pool. The pool is open till 11pm and is clean and overlooks the sea. We also felt the staff were friendly and service pleasant. Unlike some of the other hotels/ inns, this one has no hidden charges other than the cost quoted. We would come again.
- Also Known As:
- West Beach Hotel Santa Barbara
- West Beach Hotel
- West Beach Motel
- West Beach Inn Santa Barbara
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The West Beach Inn is nestled in between the beautiful Santa Barbara Yacht Harbor and historic Stearn’s Wharf along Cabrillo Boulevard. The hotel is centrally located, only a few blocks from downtown Santa Barbara and steps away from the many beaches, restaurants and shopping areas. Complimentary wine and cheese and a deluxe continental breakfast are offered daily in our sunny lobby alongside the heated pool and large luxurious spa. Guest laundry facilities and Complimentary parking are available to all guests. All rooms and suites are air-conditioned and include in-room safes, refrigerators, high quality bathrobes, coffee makers, irons and ironing boards, hairdryers, cable TV including HBO, desks and telephones equipped with voicemail and automated wake-up call services. Complementary High-Speed Internet is available property-wide. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Amex, AAA Travel Services, Venere, Otel and Tingo so you can book your West Beach Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.