I'm picky, I admit it. My travel is all business and there are things I want and need to make my stays better.
The3 guest rooms have been redone and are comfortable -- at least the one in which I stayed was. It was in the "main" building and much more convenient to everything than the "other" building. (Sorry, I can't remember the names of the two buildings.) From my room, I could see the bay and looked over the pool. (Entertaining to watch a large goose floating in the pool one overcast, foggy morning -- enjoying the peace and quiet of no people or other geese.)
The food was excellent. In particular, for the meeting's breaks, the hotel served yogurt imported from France. It has to be expensive since a) it comes a long way and b) is shipped and served in lovely small blue crocks which keep it colder and fresher. I've never had yogurt like it.
Room service staff were superb and the food was very good. What I appreciated most: on my last night at the hotel, I was "under the weather" and wanted soup. The choices were not ideal. The room service phone person asked if I wanted chicken soup and when I said yes, asked me to hold on just a minute. I am sure the kitchen has chicken broth to use in many dishes. They fixed this up with some noodles and vegetables and pieces of chicken and it was wonderful. KUDOS and thanks!
The "business center" was not quite as annoying as a FedEx one at many Marriotts. It however, didn't work: two of us were working at computers and getting ready to print when we both saw the sign on the printer that it was out of commission and to contact the front desk.
The computers are those for which you have to pay and that meant there was no way to leave the work, go to the front desk and figure out how to print. There was nothing in the center that had the hotel's phone number nor was there a house phone. We found out that the printer was out of ink and had been for 12 hours. Really? With office supply stores nearby? And they don't keep ink cartridges on hand? Tho' I did get a credit on my bill and did go to the front desk to access the internet to print, it was a silly mistake.
As noted by a few others, the front desk is understaffed often. It seems to take far too long for someone to notice and bring out more staff.
Would I stay there again? Maybe. The lobby was nice and had lots of seating. The room service menu had sushi and sashimi, miso soup and other good albeit limited items. (OH one funny thing: the room service menu lists the salads and mentions a Cobb Salad. The photo however is a caprese -- and I looked all over for one on the menu .. it's not there except visually.)
The staff was nice and that makes up for much.
- Also Known As:
- Newport Beach Marriott Hotel And Spa
- Newport Beach Marriott Hotel Newport Beach
- Marriott Newport Beach
- Newport Beach Marriott
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Amid the unparalleled beauty and relaxed luxury of Newport Beach comes an inventive new concept in hospitality - and a whole new take on the Southern California lifestyle. Welcome to the $75 million redesign of the Newport Beach Marriott Hotel and Spa, where you'll find your most ambitious visions realized. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Marriott, Booking.com, Priceline, Amex, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Venere, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.