Having used tripadvisor for a few years now I have very rarely had to write a review of somewhere that I thought was truly terrible as I tend to avoid places which get those reviews. However as this hotel had very few reviews I took a bit of a risk and booked it anyway, I'm sorry to say that I really wish that I had not.
Rather than indulge in too much of a rambling and emotive narrative about what I felt was so very poor about this hotel I thought I would do a "pro's and con's" comparison to let other travellers make up their own minds about whether it deserves my 1 star rating:
- Good location down on the riverside, with really excellent sunsets
- Friendly bar and restaurant staff
- Upon arrival I sat out on the terrace to enjoy the sunset only to fall backward and crack my head on the wall because the chair had only 3 legs. It was only luck that prevented me falling through the plate glass window. I took the chair to reception and explained what happened, they simply laughed. There was no apology, no conern for the guest, nothing, just laughter.
- We were told that the little grey electronic key would give us access to the beach by the river (one of the attractions of staying there). However when we went to use it we discovered that the path to the beach was cordoned off and had been entirely dug up - the beach was inaccessible. How the reception staff did NOT know this, I have no idea.
- Upon arrival I noticed that there was considerable construction work going on at the hotel - I asked whether our room was near it, "oh no" I was told. However, it was, of course, facing the construction site. Banging starts at 7.30am by the way - what a nightmare.
- Other trivial points would be that there were cockroaches in our room (nowhere else in our tour did we encounter this) and that the food is expensive for what it is.
My main concern would be that the reception staff were just so plain rude - not even a "did you enjoy your stay" on check out. Chairs can be fixed, constuction completed but if the same uncaring, incompetant staff remain then nothing really changes.
Oh...they then had the cheek to charge me for the room twice!!! (In fairness I did get the second amount refunded).
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
16 September 2010
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you for your honest feedback about your stay at the Blue Lagoon Hotel, it is only through honest feedback like what we recieved from you that we can rectify our short comings. We sincerely apologise for not meeting your expectations and rendering poor service to you.
At the time of your stay the hotel was nearing a completion of a major refurbishment, which I am delighted to say has been completed, this has included a new walkway to the beach and new patio furniture for the rooms amongst other improvements.
All feedback wether positive or negative is invaluable to us to set standards and benchmarks in order for us to improve or make improvements to our product.
Once again our sincere apologies for the poor service and facilities that you recieved.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC