If you like a cool, hip boutique hotel experience this is the place for you. It's modern, and gorgeously decorated and steps from the beach with lots of contemporary art and chilled out beats piped throughout to feed the soul and set the mood for exactly what a holiday is for; leaving your cares behind and letting yourself go a little!
You can eat, drink and relax in a number of venues here: inside the restaurant for a fine dining feel or just outside from it watching the world go by in cushioned chairs at umbrella tables or the adjacent outdoor bar or enjoy snacks pool-side while working on your tan. Later, there's drinks in the sophisticated bar off the lobby or in the club downstairs. For anyone wanting alone time, just stay in the comfort of your own room, with the huge bathtub or jacuzzi, thick fluffy towels, and super comfy beds with crisp white sheets and order from the well-thought-out 24-hour menu.
My partner and I met with a group of friends there recently for a five-day get away and the style and vibe of B-Lay Tong fit our group to a tee. We're a mix of ex-pats and Thais living in Bangkok and collectively have been just about everywhere in Thailand so that in itself says a lot.
My partner and I had been there ourselves before it was managed by Accor and enjoyed it so much we recommended it for our group and everyone couldn't have been happier. As others have mentioned, the food is incredible, and even more so now. The Saturday brunch is a special treat served until a merciful 3 pm, and even then there's no rush to get stragglers out and, with the complimentary cocktails, we did linger a bit without feeling awkward. Great for those who like to sleep in after enjoying the night life in Patong, which is the best in Phuket. Manager, Wesley, was helpful in making suggestions on what to do and made sure we had everything we needed. He did admit, though, that staffing at all the Phuket hotels has been especially challenging this year due to a lot of skilled workers leaving the island during last year's floods and the resulting dip in tourism to find work. As with all the Accor hotels though, service is a priority, so the acquisition and training of new staff is well underway.
That being said, none in our party experienced any problems and smiles were pretty easy to come by. I think a lot of that has to do one's own attitude though as Thai people working in the service industry can be easily freaked out by the often louder and more aggressive behavior of westerners. Even just a serious facial expression can be intimidating, so if you're not getting smiles in Thailand you can usually just do a quick check at what your own face is doing to find out why. Adopt a softer tone and kinder expression when engaging with Thais and they'll get you the moon if they can!
We had no problems getting around either and enjoyed drinking from the fresh coconut venders on the short walk along the beach paseo to get to the center of things. If you prefer to ride back after a day of walking you can hop on a song taew (meaning two rows, for the seats in back of these little trucks) and share the ride for about 40 THB per person. Otherwise, you will pay a bit for transport during season here.
The two minor recommendations I would make to the hotel is to add some sort of shelf in the shower as there's no place to put your gear but on the floor and set the clock to the right time, we couldn't work it out.
All in all, B-Lay Tong is an absolute perfect mix of laid-back and up-scale trendy. Just the right location; not too stodgy, quiet or uptight and without any of the tackiness more prevalent just a few more minutes walk closer to the action. It will remain our first choice in Phuket!
- Also Known As:
- b-Lay Tong Phuket, Mgallery Hotel Patong
- b-Lay Tong Phuket, Mgallery Hotel
- B-Lay Tong Phuket, MGallery Collection Patong
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Prime beach front location at the quiet north end of the world famous Patong Beach within close proximity of the busiest eateries, shops and bars. The resort's 123 rooms and suites have a feel which exudes modern playfulness and funky vibes mixed with Feng Shui color schemes. It offers spectacular sunset views from it's 198 lobby bar which overlooks the white sandy beach and sparkling turquoise waters of the Andaman Sea. In addition, free WiFi internet access is provided throughout the resort’s guest rooms and public areas. Other facilities include the B-Restaurant, B-Spa, and the private nightclub, Beat Club. Meeting space is also available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, ACCOR, Travelocity, getaroom.com, HotelTravel.com, Agoda, Otel and Tingo so you can book your B-Lay Tong Phuket, MGallery Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.