Navalai is situated very close to the grand palace of Bangkok, on the banks of the Chao Phraya river; which is why after seeing the stunning photos on Agoda, I selected to spend the last night of my honeymoon there.
On arrival, my wife and I checked in at the beautiful lobby, and proceeded up the room above. On leaving the elevator, I was already surprised that the corridors to the room were not as beautiful as I had expected, but hey... it's a corridor right.
Then on arriving at my room, we were again disappointed that the river view room we had was not what we had expected in terms of the luxurious finishes we had expected. Now disappointed, I decided to look at the pictures I had seen earlier to find out whether it was simply my perception that was in some way exaggerated. On reviewing the pictures, I saw that the general image of the room was the same, however the teak or oak cupboard was now some light coloured wood (or something cheaper); the bed itself had splinters running along the edge, and the dark wooden floors from the images were in fact light laminated flooring, and there was a strange discoloration on a section of the wall.
I decided that I wanted the last night of my honeymoon to be what I had imagined, a night of luxury and not simply settle, so I went within 20 mins of my arrival to check out. They offered to give me a better room, but I said thank you but no thank you, no offense, but it's not just the room but the whole place that is not living up to expectation. I apologise, but I would like to leave.
What followed was a 2 hour discussion with management whereby:
- The lobby manager said they would cancel the booking if Agoda would cancel their booking
- I phoned Agoda, who said that they could not cancel because Navalai would not waive their claim
- I went back to the lobby manager who said that Agoda had called, and that they wanted to help, but Agoda would not let them cancel.
- The floor manager called the regional manager (or whatever) and he explained that they could not cancel, and would I rather not just accept the better room that was offered?
- I said no thanks.
- Eventually the regional manager was kind enough to call Agoda with me, which I really appreciated, and then when the managers spoke to Agoda with me in the room, Navalai said that they could not release the booking because it would be cancelled within the 1 day period in which bookings are not cancellable by hotel policy.
- Agoda had to yield to the policy of the hotel
So after 2 hours, I said to the hotel management, as I had said earlier, that if there's nothing that can be done to help the misunderstand, then so be it; but after insisting that they wanted to help for 2 hours, they were unwilling to help... so why waste 2 hours of the last day of my honeymoon?!? I expressed that they had violated their integrity by delaying me and by telling me they could help, when they would not help. They accepted this criticism gracefully.
In the end I paid three-times as much as I paid to Navalai not-to-stay at Navalai. Instead we stayed at the Four Seasons and had a wonderful evening.
My advice is rather go to the Bangkok Loft Inn, there you'll have a smaller room, pay half the price or less and get the same level of comfort as Navalai (if not more); but I'll admit, then you won't be right in the center of town. :( Take the train.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
7 April 2012
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you for taking time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor your comments are all important for us to consider.
First of all, we would like to apologize that your experience you have been received during your short stay with us does not meet your expectation. However we will improve on that.
And for your information,our 74 stylish rooms are designed and decorated into four totally different way such as Artist theme, Thai lifestyle theme, Colonial influenced theme and Rattanakosin heritage theme, so that no matter how many times you come back to visit us, you can always experience something different.
Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC