Stayed here for 2 nights over the easter period. Check in was ???? I asked for a free upgrade upon arrival , as i do with most hotels and usually i get a "yes" or a "no". In this case the on duty manager looked at me and laughed ans said " mate , i'll put you in the presidential suite" (sarcastically of course) . i didnt appreciate this. a simple no would have been enough. the rooms where old and furniture outdated and stained. They where not disgusting , but it just didnt have that clean , crisp hotel feel that you get in other hotels that charge $300 per night( room only). hotel charges $28 parking per day , but they fail to tell the customers that across the road , wilson offer secured ground floor carpark for $4.00 per night( over weekends) , and when i informed another guest about this in front of hotel staff , they where just clue less! Staff in hotels should have knowledge , not just about the hotel and its facilities , but they should be well informed and educated about the surrounding areas including , restuarants , malls , sights , things to do , etc etc. The staff here just seemed very young , or maybe didnt live locally because on many occasions i asked them about local stuff and they really had no clue!! i asked about the better restuarants in the area and they had no idea? i asked about jet ski hire and they had no clue. i asked about 4wd hire for stockton beach , they had no idea. Lucky i have a smart phone and access to tripadvisor otherwise i would have been doomed. another thing which really really really upset me was checking out. I had paid for the room in full with my VISA MASTERCARD through expedia.com.au. so upon checking out all i had to do was pay for any extras incurred during my stay.. This was $17.95 for an inhouse movie. On the morning of checking out ,i drive my car to the front of the hotel and park in their greet and meet area. i was carrying all my bags and went to the reception desk . i again had the pleasure(NOT) of dealing with the manager TIM. i said to him that i was checking out , and if he could start this for me. i told him that i had no mini bar and that i only watched 1 movie for $17.95 and that i will be back in 2 minutes to settle he bill! ( a whole $17.95) . i was in the middle of putting our luggage in the car , there where so many other people around us , when i had the Manager( you guessed it Tim) run up to me , and tell me in a loud voice that the credit card was declining and that he needed a cash payment! This was really embarressing/ i told him try the card again and that i would be in the reception after 2 mins. i was loading my car. anyway i went to give him my VISA CARD , and he told me that i should pay with the same card that i made the booking with and that it was a mastercard not a visa. i was shocked as i dont have a master card and i made make the booking with my VISA CARD. It turns out that Tim the MANAGER was trying to charge expedias credit card , as the booking was made through them. this is funny . he tried to charge expedia for a movie that i watched , and then accuses me in front a lobby full of guests that my card was declining $17.95. Tim , this could seriously be considered as a " white collar crime or obtaining financial benfit by deception" Dont you check , or do you just try and charge any ones credit card !!!!! I am still waiting for an apology , but something tells me that i will be waiting for a while. You embarresed me infront of my wife( a doctor might i add) and a lobby full of guests. you might think it is nothing , but it was really really embarresing . my point is that this hotel is not worth the money. I think $99 a night including breakfast for 2 is a fair price for this hotel , not the $300 + that they charge. Very rude Management.. Any way .. good points - close to forshore with decent views , and friendly lower level staff. house keeping girls are good value , as was Vicky on the front desk. oh and where are the advertised king and queen sized beds??? more like a stingy double!!!
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Newcastle Hotel Newcastle
- Crowne Plaza Newcastle Hotel
- Newcastle Crowne Plaza
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy stunning harbour-front views, elegant bars and restaurants and easy access to Hunter Valley golf courses and premier wineries when you book your stay at Crowne Plaza Newcastle. Relax and rejuvenate in total comfort when you chose from one of our varied selection of 175 suites, each equipped with functional kitchenette, separate living room and a spacious working area. Indulge in a delicious meal at Crowne Plaza Newcastle’s signature restaurant, Seasalt, open daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and enjoy fresh-caught seafood and dishes expertly prepared from fresh local produce. Sample some little known gems from the Seasalt wine menu or try an award-winning Hunter Valley tipple. Why not meet friends or network with colleagues over a pre-dinner drink in our hotel bar and watch the sunset over the harbour?Guests seeking to remain active while they travel can enjoy full complimentary use of our on-site fitness centre, featuring an array of gymnasium amenities and a 25-meter private pool.Events and wedding celebrations are also a speciality of Crowne Plaza Newcastle, with nine versatile function spaces available for guests to choose from. Most meeting and function rooms boast an abundance of natural sunlight and picturesque views over the harbour’s rippling waters.Crowne Plaza Newcastle is conveniently located just a 25-minute taxi ride from Newcastle Airport in Williamtown, or 2 hours' drive from Sydney Airport. We're 100 metres from Civic Train Station, and a tourist tram serving local attractions stops outside the hotel. The Hunter Valley is 45 minutes by car, while Newcastle's beaches are just 800 metres away. The harbour-side location also means that local industry, especially coal, is close by.Enjoy complete comfort and exemplary service when you book your stay at Crowne Plaza Newcastle and experience all the history and wonder of this beautiful coastal location. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, IHG, Agoda, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Priceline and Expedia so you can book your Crowne Plaza Newcastle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.