Villa d'Este ranks with the great destination hotels of the world. It sits on a lovely portion of Lake Como near Cernobbio, easily accessible via any of the Milan airports, or by car or train from Switzerland (a beautiful drive through the Alps and the Gotthard Tunnel).
The hotel is classic Italian architecture, and offers a broad view of the lake. The gardens are breathtaking, especially in June. Their swimming pool is quite unique, as it actually floats in the lake.
Dining is also outstanding (I will do a separate review of the restaurants), offering the formal Veranda restaurant, and the more informal Grill. Both offer both inside and terrace seating, and the service is superb and polite.
Other Trip Advisor reviews have commented about the "tiredness" of some of the rooms and carpeting; I did not experience this with my room. My room was spacious and well appointed, with a large marbled bathroom. (A slight negative is that despite the hefty room rate, an "executive king" room still comes with the Euro-standard two twin beds pushed together to make a "king".)
I would recommend spending a bit more to get a lake-view room; aside from the sheer beauty of the lake, the sun hits that side and makes the lake-view rooms very nice. Rooms facing the "courtyard" actually overlook the hotel entrance and car circle, so unless you favor being awakened by some inconsiderate guy revving up his Porsche (as we did), definitely choose a lake-view room.
One other comment I must make: on our arrival, we unpacked and put our clothing and belongings in the amply sized walk-in closet. When housekeeping did the turndown service that night, the housekeeper moved much of our stuff around (and my wife hates to have her stuff touched) to store the comforter, etc. She also moved one of our bags and damaged it slightly. The staff at such a hotel should be trained to not disturb the guests' belongings.
We leave tomorrow, and all in all, a very nice stay.
- Also Known As:
- Villa d`Este Hotel
- Villa d`Este Hotel Cernobbio
- Hotel d Este
- d Este Hotel Cernobbio
- Villa Deste
- Villa d Este
- Villa Deste Lake Como
- Villa D'Este Lake Como/Cernobbio, Italy
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the splendor, the grandeur, the intrigue and the magic of Villa d'Este- an opulent hotel overlooking glorious Lake Como. Hailed as one of the best hotels in the world by Travel & Leisure, Condé Nast Traveler and Forbes Traveler, this famous resort destination has been widely praised for its beautiful gardens, exquisite cuisine, gala celebrations, impeccable décor and extraordinary hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LHW, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Olotels, Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Villa d'Este reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.