I was in Yellowknife for a week, then up at one of the mines for a week, then back again for another week.
The Explorer Hotel is probably your best option for hotels in Yellowknife, and I agree with pretty much everything that BeverlyCanada says - except that...
1) There is now adequate sidewalk access to the street and
2) About half the rooms have been renovated. If you are lucky to get one of these they are very nice (huge beds, brand new fittings, etc.)
Either way the rooms are clean, big, well fitted out, comfortable, nice views etc.
I do have some gripes though.
1) There doesn't seem to be much communication between front desk, management and housekeeping (I'll give an example in a minute)
2) Laundry. While we were up at the mine, the laundry service they outsourced to closed down. So my boss and I rocked up one day in the third week at the front desk with Laundry and they said "We don't do a Laundry service anymore - we got a notice at the front desk from management about it - housekeeping should have taken the bags and forms out of your room". They said "there is another laundry on the other side of town" so pretty much meaning deal with it yourself mate, we're not going to do anything about it. Now, we have to make the most of our time here (because we are on client's time) so we don't really have time to waste half a day doing our laundry. I was lucky and did some laundry while up at the mine, but my boss didn't and had to get something done. So he rang around and found out that there was another serviced laundry in town that "thought" they might have had a deal with Explorer (again, no communication), so he had to basically organise Explorer's new Laundry service - to get his clothes picked up in the morning etc. like the old service did.
3) Breakfast at the restaurant is OK (good sized buffet etc.), but the other meals are very average and you are better off going to the bar (they have a separate menu) or one of the many other restaurants in Yellowknife (The Office, Diamante's, WildCat Cafe, Bullock's, or even the Black Knight pub). The restaurant has changed management in the last year or so and call themselves a steakhouse now - but for a steakhouse the steak wasn't that good.
4) Housekeeping. On the only Saturday I stayed at Explorer I slept in a little bit. Housekeeping came around at about 8:15am, and knocked on the door and came straight in without waiting for a reply! If they had come about 15 minutes earlier I would have been stark naked just getting out of the shower! I told the front desk about it and they said they will mention it to the housekeeping manager, and also gave me her number to leave a message. But what kind of housekeeping comes around with vacuum cleaners and things at 8:00 on a Saturday?!?!
But overall a pleasant experience once the kinks were sorted out.
- Also Known As:
- Explorer Hotel Yellowknife
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Hotels.com so you can book your Explorer Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.