We stayed 3 nights with the Pavilions at its Spa and Pool Villa. This room type is supposedly new, renovated recently from its previous "Plantation Villa".
The villa is very nicely done up, living up to the standards and expectation of Thai luxurious resorts. However, the little things that were not attended to had costed the Pavilions its otherwise excellent reputation.
1) The air-con in the room had strange humid/moldy smell. The air-con was only turned on when the key card was inserted in the slot. Hence a lot of the times, there was no air-con (if you are out, or the villa is not occupied). The smell got us worried about whether the system had been properly cleaned.
2) The huge sofa in the living room felt a bit damp and sticky. I guess some people might just hop and lie on the sofa right after the pool (there was actually a sala in the garden for that purpose!). Plus the air-con was only on when someone was in the room. The dehumidifying function was not properly performed. It got you to worry about the upholstery having held the dead skin cells of previous customers' - as it is inevitable that you have to put your feet up on the sofa - and rub your heels on it! So did everyone else before you!
3) The electric kettle was not properly cleaned from previous stay. I guess the previous couple used the kettle to boil milk. The streaks were still inside the kettle. Thank God we saw them before using the kettle - who knows how long those streaks had been inside?
4) The water marks from the bath (like with soapy water) on the marble were not cleaned. This should be rather basic for any good housekeeping to do, shouldn't it?
5) There was always something the housekeeping forgot to do - either replenishing the toilet roll, or replacing sufficient (same) quantity of fresh towels. Don't they have a checklist?
6) The bed made a squeaky sound whenever you move (from the wooden frame). I was made awaken one night. And for the following nights, I had to use my ear plugs. The bedding and mattress were nice though.
7) The waiters at the restaurant (where breakfast was served) were just OK, by Thai's standards, didn't quite live up to my expectation (and experience) of Thai hospitality, actually. One morning, when I ordered something and they served me something else. I asked this waiter, "Excuse me, this is not what I ordered, I order XXX". He then said "OK". Just that, and then he turned away. What did that mean? He was to change it for me? Of course I did not feel a hint of regret in that response. Then I tried to ask him back and said, "I do not need this though." He then very swiftly just grabbed the plate and left the table without a word. Wow, that's something new I experienced at a Thai 5-Star hotel! Strangely, I tried to observe these waiters in the next 2 days, and found that most of them put up a much nicer smile to Caucasian visitors in general. We are Asians. Racial discrimination? Part of the training? Very strange. This is definitely the first time I have this strange feeling out of my >20 trips to Thailand. This is also my first time having this experience out of my >20 stays at 5-star hotels/resorts in Thailand.
8) Our package came with a complimentary massage treatment for 2. The massage was very professional, and the in-villa spa room was marvellous! This was definitely a treat!
9) The hotel offered complimentary afternoon tea at the common pool area. Nice gesture!
On the whole, the hotel was fairly nice - though there is for sure room for improvement. I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10.
- Also Known As:
- The Pavilions Phuket Hotel Thalang
- The Pavilions Phuket Hotel
- Phuket Pavilions Hotel Cherngtalay
- Phuket Pavilions Cherngtalay
- Phuket Pavilions
- The Pavilions Phuket Cherngtalay
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Pavilions is Asia’s most romantic adults-only resort. Perched atop one of Phuket’s highest points, each of its 49 pool villas is utterly private and lavishly spacious. Choose from Ocean View villas offering azure vistas or Spa & Pool Pavilions with attached couple’s treatment and steam room, each with a private pool for sybaritic skinny dipping. At Eastland, daytime grazing by the lap pool and reflection lake cedes to unforgettable dinners and events at night. Indulge in a Champagne breakfast at the Plantation Club and sunset cocktails at 360°. Love is in the air as you ignite your passions. Only at The Pavilions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Jetsetter, Hotels.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Splendia, Agoda, Tablet Hotels, Olotels, Travelocity, Priceline, Fastbooking, Tingo and Otel so you can book your The Pavilions Phuket reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.